Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Monday, January 3, 2011

A new year with bittersweet victories

Its been over a week since my last entry and I am sorry about that. Between pumping breastmilk every three hours and visiting Derek finding the time to update is a challenge.

Since my last update Derek has gained more weight. He is now 2 lbs 7oz. They have taken his oxygen down to 1/4 liter per minute and he is using from 30-38% oxygen. He is eating well and making great strides. Last week we had a bit of a scare when Derek's stomach became distended but he has recovered nicely. I was able to give him a sponge bath for the first time. His dad and I have both been able to lift him up. We also took pictures of the snow that fell yesterday and blanketed the valley. I want to be able to show him pictures of his first snowfall. I am so proud of my little guy and can't wait to bring him home.

Unfortunately, some of Derek's milestones have nothing to do with his health or development. Derek at one month old has already lost someone important in his life. My father, Derek's grandpa, passed away on New Year's day. I am sorry that Derek will never get to know what a wonderful man his grandfather was. I know his siblings , cousins, aunts and uncles will help me tell Derek about his grandpa. In the meantime, Derek has another angel on his shoulder.

I will do my best to update a little more often. Happy new year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment